Rules for teachers 1872 U.S.A.
• Teachers each day will fill lamps and chimneys.
• Each teacher will bring bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s session
• Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils
• Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly
• After 10 hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the bible or other good books
• Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed
• Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society
• Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequent pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity and honesty
• The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay providing the Board of Education approves.
By 1915 things had improved ?